This savory ham and potato casserole is splendidly tacky, flavorful, and tremendous satisfying. It’s a scrumptious method to make use of leftover ham, and it may do double responsibility as a brunch recipe or a dinner dish. I like utilizing sharp white cheddar cheese, however smoked gouda or gruyere are different tasty selections!
Meet your new favourite consolation meals:
A Savory Brunch Recipe (That Isn’t Eggs)
Tacky, garlicky, hearty ham and potato casserole. Couldn’t you simply dive proper in? The flavors and textures are paying homage to tartiflette, a creamy potato and bacon casserole from the French Alps. That is satisfying fare that’s good for a snow day—however you don’t need to be mountainside to get pleasure from it! 😉
With all of the sweets round this time of yr, a savory recipe is further welcome. I like a great make-ahead breakfast casserole when internet hosting for the vacations, however not everybody likes or can have eggs, so I got down to create an eggless casserole that’s simply as scrumptious and deserving of a first-rate spot on the brunch desk.
Right here’s Why You’ll Love This Ham & Potato Casserole
- As flavorful as ham and cheese strata, however with potatoes as an alternative of bread
- Egg-free different to breakfast casserole & quiche
- As welcome for brunch as it’s for dinner
- Creamy, tacky gravy-like sauce comes collectively simply on the range
- An effective way to make use of up leftover cooked ham
- Make-ahead pleasant
- Satisfying, cold-weather consolation meals
Key Components You Want
- Potatoes: I like to recommend Russet or Yukon Gold potatoes for this casserole. Each maintain their form fairly properly, and on the identical time, style buttery smooth. You must briefly pre-cook them, however just for about 5–6 minutes. Be at liberty to peel them, or go away the peels on.
- Cooked ham: In case you have leftover ham, go forward and use it right here. Or simply purchase an 8-ounce ham steak, which is what I did for the pictured casserole. As a substitute of ham, be at liberty to make use of cooked sausage or bacon.
- Cheese: I take advantage of white cheddar, however you can additionally use common cheddar, smoked gouda, gruyere, pepper jack, or a mixture. Potatoes aren’t choosy.
- Smoked paprika + floor mustard: This can be a widespread taste combo in lots of brunch and ham recipes, resembling ham and cheese breakfast strata and deviled eggs. (And even beer cheese dip!) Don’t fear, this dish doesn’t style like mustard.
- Parsley: I normally use dried parsley within the sauce after which garnish the completed casserole with contemporary, however you should use both.
- Milk: Entire milk makes one of the best cream sauce texture, although low-fat, or nondairy milks would work in a pinch. Don’t use nonfat milk.
You additionally want butter, garlic, onion, salt, pepper, and flour.
Prep the Potatoes First: Peel, Minimize, Boil
You must par-boil the potatoes for this casserole. Peel and chop the potatoes, then boil for just some minutes, to present them a head begin on softening. Collect your sauce components within the meantime.
Make a Fast & Creamy Do-it-yourself Sauce
You’ll make a simple (however uber-flavorful) gravy-like cream sauce, flavored with garlic and onion, smoked paprika and floor mustard, and a few herby parsley. The sauce begins just like the filling for this turkey pot pie. Convey all of it along with some butter and flour for thickening, and use milk because the liquid. It’s fairly straightforward.
Now all you need to do is mix every thing, and bake. Right here’s the pre-cooked and drained potatoes, ham, and cheese:
Stir all of it along with the creamy sauce (simply toss all of it proper within the greased baking pan). Any 3–4-quart baking dish works, resembling a 9×13-inch pan. I take advantage of a spherical 4-quart baking dish.
Bake the casserole lined, after which when it’s nearly accomplished, sprinkle with cheese and return to the oven uncovered. (What’s a casserole with out some cheese on high?!) it’s prepared when the cheese is melted and the casserole is effervescent throughout.
You Can Prep It Forward
The very best half about this casserole, and recipes like this baked cream cheese French toast casserole and reader-favorite every thing bagel casserole, is which you could prep it forward.
To make it forward, assemble the casserole, then cowl and refrigerate in a single day. Take away it from the fridge, enable it to return as much as room temperature for about half-hour, after which bake as directed; it’s possible you’ll want so as to add an additional couple of minutes to the bake time. I added these directions to the printable recipe card beneath.
Right here’s What to Serve With Ham & Potato Casserole
If serving this casserole for brunch, it nestles properly alongside platters of contemporary fruit, eggs, bacon or sausage, smoked salmon, sluggish cooker cinnamon rolls, or complete wheat blueberry pancakes. (None of which require the oven!)
Taste tip: add a drizzle of scorching sauce on high earlier than serving!
If this will likely be a foremost dish for dinner, serve this comforting casserole with some inexperienced sides like a contemporary salad, steamed inexperienced beans, or asparagus. Or make it a aspect dish to accompany a lighter foremost, like crab muffins, seared scallops, or lemon herb salmon. Plenty of methods to get pleasure from this versatile dish!
This hearty ham and potato casserole is tacky, flavorful, and satisfying. It’s a scrumptious method to make use of leftover ham, and it may do double responsibility as a brunch recipe or a dinner dish. For different ingredient options, see recipe Notes beneath.
- Peel potatoes, lower into 3/4-inch items (simply eyeball it). You’ll have simply over 6 cups chopped potatoes. Cowl with water in a medium pot. Convey to boil. As soon as boiling, boil for simply 5–6 minutes. You don’t need the potatoes tremendous smooth and tender simply but, solely barely softened. Drain.
- Grease a 9×13-inch or any 3–4-quart oven-safe dish. Add heat drained potatoes, ham, and 1 cup (about 100g) of shredded cheese. Gently toss collectively. Put aside.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (191°C).
- Soften the butter in a big skillet or saucepan over medium warmth. Add the onion and garlic and cook dinner, stirring often, till onions have softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in salt, pepper, smoked paprika, floor mustard, parsley, and flour till mixed and flour has absorbed any liquid. Scale back warmth to low, after which slowly stir within the milk. Simmer for 3–5 minutes or till thickened right into a gravy consistency. Take away from warmth. Style and, if desired, add extra salt, pepper, paprika, mustard, or parsley to style.
- Pour heat sauce over ham and potatoes. Toss gently to coat.
- Bake, lined with aluminum foil, for half-hour. Take away aluminum foil, sprinkle remaining cheese on high, and return to the oven for five–10 extra minutes or till cheese is melted and casserole is effervescent across the edges.
- Take away from the oven and garnish with contemporary parsley, inexperienced onion, chives, or a drizzle of scorching sauce.
- Retailer leftovers within the fridge for as much as 1 week. Reheat as desired. To reheat all the casserole, cowl with aluminum foil and reheat in a 350°F (177°C) oven for 20 minutes.
- Make Forward Directions: This is a wonderful make-ahead recipe as a result of you possibly can assemble it earlier than baking as much as 1 day upfront. Assemble the casserole by way of step 5. Cowl and refrigerate in a single day. Take away from the fridge, and permit to take a seat at room temperature for half-hour. Proceed with step 6, including an additional 5–10 minutes to the bake time earlier than including the cheese topping.
- Freezing Directions: To freeze the unbaked casserole, assemble it then cowl tightly and freeze for as much as 3 months. Thaw at room temperature, then bake as directed. You can too freeze the baked and cooled casserole. Cowl tightly and freeze for as much as 3 months. Thaw at room temperature, then cowl with aluminum foil and reheat in a 350°F (177°C) oven for 20 minutes.
- Ham: As a substitute of ham, be at liberty to make use of the identical quantity of cooked and chopped/crumbled sausage, or about 1 and 1/2 cups chopped/crumbled bacon.
- Cheese: As a substitute of white cheddar, be at liberty to make use of common sharp cheddar cheese, smoked gouda, gruyere, pepper jack, or a mixture.
- Floor mustard: This can be a widespread ingredient in tacky and/or brunch dishes; it provides a pointy kick and depth of taste. I don’t suggest skipping it.
- Milk: Entire milk makes one of the best cream sauce texture, although low-fat, or nondairy milks would work in a pinch. Don’t use nonfat milk, and don’t use half-and-half as a result of it’s too thick.
Key phrases: ham potato casserole
Baking Made Simple
Are you new to this web site? This electronic mail collection is a good place to start out. I’ll stroll you thru just a few of my hottest recipes and present you precisely why they work.