This publish might comprise Amazon or different affiliate hyperlinks. As an Amazon Affiliate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Make this traditional Steak Diane Recipe for a very particular keto dinner. It’s an ideal meal for date night time, Valentine’s Day, or any time you need to wow somebody together with your connoisseur cooking!
Working a enterprise whereas parenting three youngsters means I often fall again on simple keto dinner recipes. Thank goodness I’ve a protracted record of them to select from!
And like most individuals on a keto weight loss plan, I relish an excellent steak. However I often put together it extra merely, or in household pleasant recipes like Air Fryer Steak Bites or Keto Beef and Broccoli.
However occasionally, I get it into my head to strive a traditional connoisseur meal. The type of meal you would possibly anticipate from a flowery restaurant. The type of meal that Julia Baby herself would possibly present you easy methods to make.
And Steak Diane is precisely that. A superbly pan-seared steak with a toothsome shallot sauce, it’s the ultimate meal for particular events.
A straightforward connoisseur recipe!
The factor about steak Diane is that it seems to be and sounds all fancy-pants, however it’s astonishingly simple to arrange at residence. And it has phenomenal taste.
You will need to select the precise lower of steak and to sear it correctly. However after that, the sauce comes collectively in about 10 minutes. Then you definately merely slice the steak, drizzle with sauce, and serve.
And watch your visitors as their eyes roll again of their heads with pleasure. Now that’s what I name an excellent meal.
Substances you want
- Steak: The lower of beef issues fairly a bit for this meal. Historically, Steak Diane takes beef tenderloin however it’s extraordinarily costly. I choose NY Strip Steaks, that are about half the value and do nicely on the stovetop. I get some fabulous grassfed strip steaks from Wild Pastures.
- Butter: You may sear the steaks in butter or olive oil.
- Broth: Use beef bone broth for a richer, deeper taste.
- Dijon mustard: A bit of Dijon mustard is what make it a “sauce Diane” so don’t skip it!
- Worcestershire sauce: I saved the Worcestershire sauce to a minimal as a result of it does comprise just a little sugar. Lea & Perrins model is gluten-free.
- Shallots: One medium/massive shallot (about 40g) is sufficient to give the sauce fantastic taste with out including plenty of carbs.
- Cognac: Cognac is commonplace on this traditional dish and provides to the distinctive taste. The alcohol burns off through the cooking course of. Learn the Skilled Suggestions part for some attainable options.
- Heavy cream: Whisking in heavy cream on the finish of the sauce helps it thicken and be additional wealthy.
- Garnish: Classi Steak Diane is topped with chopped chives or inexperienced onions, or typically parsely.
- Salt and pepper
Step by Step Instructions
1. Even out the steaks: Cowl the steaks with parchment paper and press all the way down to an excellent 1-inch thickness together with your hand or a meat mallet (don’t whack it, simply press). Season either side with salt and pepper.
2. Whisk the sauce elements: In a glass measuring cup, whisk collectively the broth, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce.
3. Sear the steaks: In a medium pan over medium excessive warmth, soften the butter or warmth the oil. As soon as sizzling, add the steaks and sear on either side for about 3 to 4 minutes every (medium uncommon). Take away to a plate.
4. Sauté the shallots: Add the shallots to the pan and sauté till tender, about 2 minutes. Stir within the cognac to deglaze the pan, then cook dinner till most of it has evaporated.
5. Cook dinner the sauce Diane: Add the broth combination to the pan and cook dinner till barely thicker, about 3 minutes. Stir within the heavy cream and proceed to cook dinner till thickened, 2 to three minutes extra.
The most effective cuts of steak: Most recipes name for filet mignon (beef tenderloin steaks), however that’s the most costly lower of beef. Nevertheless, you can also make Steak Diane with different tender cuts that do nicely with fast searing. New York strip is the following most suitable choice, however prime sirloin can work as nicely. You could need to prick the highest sirloin with a fork to assist tenderize it a bit extra.
Urgent the steaks: I additionally advocate urgent the steaks to an excellent 1-inch thickness. You don’t must pound at them with a mallet. Simply press them flippantly till they provide just a little. This ensures quicker, extra even cooking, which is good for pan searing.
Ensure you get that pan good and sizzling earlier than including the steaks in order that they sear correctly. 3 minutes per facet will likely be ample for medium uncommon steaks.
Cognac substitutes: Don’t maintain cognac round the home? Neither do I! I managed to discover a small bottle at my liquor retailer for this recipe. However you should use different liquors, corresponding to bourbon, brandy, or whiskey, as an alternative. It’s not fairly the identical however it works.
Non-alcoholic substitutes are tougher, as they don’t evaporate as simply throughout cooking. You might strive utilizing 1 tablespoon of tamari (gluten free soy sauce) so as to add some umami, together with a couple of extra tablespoons of broth.
Regularly Requested Questions
Steak Diane is a traditional dish that options steak seared in a highly regarded pan, and topped with a creamy shallot and cognac sauce. The origins of this well-known dish are unclear however it grew to become well-liked in London within the Nineteen Thirties. The title Diane refers to Diana, the Roman goddess of searching.
Some recipes do name for thinly sliced mushrooms to be sautéed together with the shallots, however there isn’t a commonplace. The unique recipe didn’t comprise mushrooms.
Standard recipes can have plenty of carbs from the addition of Worcestershire sauce and shallots. I lowered each of those elements with out sacrificing taste. So this Steak Diane recipe has solely 3g of carbs per serving.
Basic Steak Diane Recipe
Make this traditional Steak Diane Recipe for a very particular keto dinner. It is an ideal meal for date night time, Valentine’s Day, or any time you need to wow somebody together with your connoisseur cooking!
Servings: 4 servings
- 2 New York strip steaks about 10 ounces every
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoon butter or olive oil
- ½ cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 medium shallot 40g, thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup cognac
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- Chives, inexperienced onion, or parsley for garnish chopped
Cowl the steaks with parchment paper and press all the way down to an excellent 1-inch thickness together with your hand or a meat mallet (do not whack it, simply press). Season either side with salt and pepper.
In a glass measuring cup, whisk collectively the broth, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce.
In a medium pan over medium excessive warmth, soften the butter or warmth the oil. As soon as sizzling, add the steaks and sear on either side for about 3 to 4 minutes every (medium uncommon). Take away to a plate.
Add the shallots to the pan and sauté till tender, about 2 minutes. Stir within the cognac to deglaze the pan, then cook dinner till most of it has evaporated.
Add the broth combination to the pan and cook dinner till barely thicker, about 3 minutes. Stir within the heavy cream and proceed to cook dinner till thickened, 2 to three minutes extra.
Return the steaks and any collected juices again into the pan. Sprinkle with chopped chives or inexperienced onion.
Basic Steak Diane Recipe
Quantity Per Serving (5 ounces)
Energy from Fats 284
% Every day Worth*
* P.c Every day Values are primarily based on a 2000 calorie weight loss plan.