My easy Sourdough Bread recipe is ideal for having fun with by itself or utilizing for sandwiches! I’ll be strolling you intimately by way of each step so you possibly can learn to make excellent sourdough like a professional. Recipe features a how-to video!
The Greatest Sourdough Bread Recipe
This do-it-yourself sourdough bread is the solely bread we eat in my family anymore. In reality, I make 2-3 loaves every week and maintain a stockpile in my freezer always! And when you strive it… effectively, I believe you’ll, too.
That’s as a result of there’s rather a lot to like about sourdough bread. At the beginning, it has a excessive dietary worth and not one of the components (no added sugar, both) you’ll discover in most store-bought breads. It additionally tastes wonderful: traditional, hearty bread (that’s not overly bitter) with a thick, crusty exterior and a gentle, springy inside.
However what I believe you’ll love most about my recipe is how splendidly versatile it’s. It’s ideally suited each for dipping in soup, serving as a facet with a salad, or utilizing as a sandwich; it additionally makes an superior grilled cheese that pairs superbly with my tomato soup!
Home made Bread is Simpler Than You Suppose!
Making sourdough bread at house is shockingly simple, particularly for those who use the sourdough starter I shared final week. It is time consuming and you should have persistence, however the work itself may be very approachable.
There’s no kneading concerned; as an alternative, we’ll use a simple course of often known as stretching and folding, which develops the gluten very similar to kneading would, however is best fitted to increased hydration dough like sourdough. There’s additionally no mixer or fancy tools wanted with my recipe — you don’t even want a banneton or a Dutch oven, only a pair of bread pans!
I’m so excited to share this one with you (and I’ve been teasing it lengthy sufficient on Instagram, haven’t I?!), so let’s get began.
What You Want
My sourdough bread recipe has excellent taste, particularly contemplating there are so few substances. You will want:
- Sourdough starter. This may be do-it-yourself or store-bought. Clearly, I like to recommend making your personal through the use of my sourdough starter recipe (this does take over every week to arrange, nevertheless it’s value it!).
- Bread flour. I actually advocate bread flour over all goal for this recipe. Bread flour has a better protein content material and produces a better-crumbed sourdough bread, for my part.
- Olive oil. A little bit of olive oil helps make the bread completely chewy and gentle. I additionally discover it retains my sourdough softer longer.
- Salt. Salt is crucial for taste (unsurprisingly) nevertheless it additionally performs another necessary roles in sourdough bread. It helps stability the acidity from our starter, strengthens the gluten within the dough (necessary for form and texture), and it even helps lengthen the shelf lifetime of the bread by performing as a pure preservative.
- Water. The water referred to as for in my recipe will yield a sourdough loaf that’s about 53% hydration. I really like this hydration stage; it produces a crumb that’s neither too dense nor too open, that’s not too bitter however continues to be flavorful, and that’s simple to form and intensely versatile — we use it for every little thing from dipping in pot pie soup to consuming sandwiches. When you’re snug baking a bread at this hydration stage, you possibly can experiment with growing the water for those who’d like. Extra water often yields a bread with a extra open crumb, a extra tangy taste, and a crumb that’s much less appropriate for sandwiches however good for dipping.
I wrote this sourdough bread recipe with weights as a result of I discover it’s the simplest strategy to make it (identical to with my macaron recipe); nevertheless, I’ve included cup measurements as effectively.
SAM’S TIP: Whereas some folks prefer to bake their sourdough bread in a dutch oven, I like to make use of a pair of bread pans. It doesn’t look as rustic this fashion, nevertheless it’s way more sensible for my household to have a loaf of bread reasonably than a spherical of it. If you happen to’re group Dutch oven, don’t fear–I present directions for make sourdough bread in a Dutch oven under.
Bear in mind, that is simply an summary of the substances I used and why. For the complete recipe please scroll all the way down to the underside of the put up!
Make Sourdough Bread
Make the Dough
- Mix sourdough starter, water, and oil in a big bowl. Be certain that your starter is energetic and bubbly earlier than including it.
- Add the bread flour and salt.
- Stir till principally mixed (your dough will nonetheless look shaggy). Don’t over-mix!
- Cowl and let sit at room temperature for one hour.
Stretching & Folding
- Type your dough right into a ball utilizing your palms, the run your palms below cool water.
- Stretch the highest of the dough up and over the underside, then flip the dough 90 levels and repeat. I display this within the video under for those who want a greater visible.
- Repeat the stretch and fold course of a complete of 4 instances, then cowl and place in a heat place to rise for half-hour.
- Let your dough rise till elevated in measurement by 80%, repeating the stretch and fold course of each half-hour.
- Deflate and kind your dough into an oblong form on a flippantly floured floor.
- Carry the correct facet of the dough, fold it over to the middle, then repeat with the left facet (like folding a paper in thirds).
- Roll into a good log beginning with the quick finish of the rectangle, then tuck the ends below.
- Place in a greased bread pan, cowl loosely, and place within the fridge to relaxation in a single day.
SAM’S TIP: I like to recommend proofing your dough within the fridge in a single day reasonably than baking immediately (I additionally present directions for baking immediately, although). Proofing in a single day will assist develop the flavour, assist the bread rise higher, and encourage extra fermentation. That being mentioned, I don’t prefer to let my dough sit within the fridge for longer than 48 hours (absolute max) earlier than baking. Letting it sit too lengthy may cause over-proofing and may compromise the ultimate texture of your sourdough bread. I additionally don’t freeze my dough earlier than baking, so I can’t advise on that.
- Let the dough relaxation at room temperature whereas your oven preheats.
- Rating the bread about ¼″ deep down the middle.
- Cowl with one other bread pan or an aluminum foil tent.
- Bake at 450F for half-hour, then take away the duvet and bake for 20-23 minutes or till the bread reaches 206-208F.
- Let the bread cool in its pan for quarter-hour.
- Take away the bread from the pan (fastidiously, it’s nonetheless sizzling!) and place on a cooling rack. Let the bread cool fully earlier than slicing.
SAM’S TIP: Don’t minimize into the bread whereas it’s nonetheless heat (I do know, so laborious, so tempting!). Doing this could make your loaf gummy and dense.
Often Requested Questions
Sourdough is certainly one of many extra nutritious sorts of bread. It’s a prebiotic-rich meals made by fermenting dough with wild yeast and micro organism (sounds gross however in actuality is scrumptious) and is extra digestible than your customary white bread. It additionally has a decrease glycemic index and fewer gluten than regular bread.
Whereas a conventional sourdough bread recipe is clearly not gluten free, sourdough bread is typically tolerated by people who find themselves gluten delicate (however not folks with Celiac Illness). It is because a number of the gluten is consumed in the course of the fermentation course of, which makes the bread extra simply digestible.
Comply with my recipe by way of the rolling and tucking step, then place in a flippantly floured banneton (I take advantage of my Kitchenaid mixer bowl lined with a flippantly floured kitchen towel, as a result of I don’t even have a banneton). Cowl and let rise in a single day within the fridge.
The subsequent day, fastidiously prove your dough onto a big piece of parchment paper and punctiliously decrease this right into a 4.5qt Dutch oven (a bigger one would work, however your bread might be flatter and can probably prepare dinner quicker). Enable the dough to take a seat uncovered whereas the oven preheats, then rating, cowl with a lid, and comply with recipe directions for baking.
I do know that there are numerous sourdough bread recipes on the market and so many alternative methods to make it, however that is my private favourite model that I’ve fastidiously developed over the previous 12 months. I can’t wait to listen to the way you prefer it, I hope you’ll at all times need to maintain a loaf in your own home, too! ❤️
Take pleasure in!
Let’s bake collectively! I’ll be strolling you thru all of the steps in my written recipe and video under! If you happen to do that recipe, you should definitely tag me on Instagram, and it’s also possible to discover me on YouTube and Facebook
Sourdough Bread Recipe
Servings: 1 loaf
Forestall your display screen from going darkish
In a big mixing bowl, mix sourdough starter, water, and olive oil. Stir till mixed.
⅔ cup energetic starter, 1 ⅓ cups heat, 1 ½ Tablesoons olive oil
Add bread flour and sprinkle salt overtop. Use your (clear) palms or a picket spoon to stir collectively till dough is generally mixed. It should nonetheless be a bit shaggy and shouldn’t be cohesive (don’t over-mix) however no dry patches of flour ought to stay.
3 ⅔ cups bread flour, 2 teaspoons desk salt
Cowl bowl with plastic wrap and let sit undisturbed for one hour (that is the “autolyse” interval).
Stretch & Fold
Type dough right into a ball along with your palms.
Run your palms below cool water (prevents sticking!) and grasp the highest of the dough and stretch it over the underside. Flip the dough 90 levels and repeat. Flip 90 levels and repeat once more, then as soon as extra (4 complete stretch & folds).
Enable dough to relaxation, coated, in a heat place for half-hour.
Repeat step 2 above each half-hour as dough rises.
Enable dough to rise (stretching and folding each half-hour as indicated) till dough has elevated in measurement about 80% (how lengthy this takes relies on the temperature of your kitchen, sometimes mine is prepared inside 4-6 hours).
Forming the Dough
Frivolously grease a 9×5 loaf pan (with olive oil or butter) .
Oil for greasing pan
When dough has risen sufficiently, flip it out onto a clear, flippantly floured floor.
Extra flour for dusting work-surface
Use your palms to softly deflate the dough and pat it into an oblong form. Carry the correct facet of the dough and fold it into the middle (nearly as for those who had been closing a e-book). Then, elevate the left facet of the dough and fold it over the primary fold (use a bench scraper if the dough is sticking to your counter).
Beginning with a thin finish, tightly roll the dough, as for those who had been rolling up a cinnamon roll. Tuck the ends below and punctiliously switch to ready bread pan. Don’t fear if the bread doesn’t fill the pan proper now.
Cowl pan tightly with plastic wrap and switch to the fridge to relaxation in a single day/for 12-24 hours.
Take away sourdough from the fridge and preheat oven to 450F. Let oven preheat and dough relaxation (coated or uncovered) for at the least 30-35 minutes earlier than continuing.
As soon as oven has preheated, uncover bread, make a clear slice (about ¼” deep) down the middle with a pointy knife or bread lame (to attain it) then cowl with one other 9×5 pan (for those who don’t have a second pan, chances are you’ll as an alternative make a makeshift oven utilizing aluminum foil; tent it as excessive because the bread pan is deep).
Switch to heart rack of preheated oven. Bake, coated, for half-hour then take away the lid and proceed to bake one other 20-23 minutes/till golden brown and the middle of bread reaches 206-208F (97C).
Enable bread to chill in pan for quarter-hour earlier than gently turning it out onto a cooling rack (cautious, the pan will nonetheless be sizzling!) to chill for at the least 1-2 hours (till it now not feels heat) earlier than reducing into it.
To bake the identical day:
Comply with recipe by way of step 4 below the “Forming the Dough” part. Instantly after transferring dough to pan, preheat oven to 450F (230C). Enable dough to relaxation uncovered whereas oven preheats, at the least half-hour. As soon as oven is preheated, comply with instructions in recipe beginning with step 2 below the “Baking” part. Be aware that bread is not going to be as flavorful or nutritious & texture is not going to be as nice if it’s not allowed to take a seat within the fridge in a single day.
Storing & Freezing
Retailer in an hermetic container at room temperature for as much as every week.
You may additionally freeze this bread. Freeze the entire loaf by wrapping tightly in plastic wrap after which wrapping in foil. When able to thaw, maintain coated fully and defrost at room temperature earlier than unwrapping.
We desire to freeze pre-sliced: Reduce bread into slices and storing in a plastic Ziploc bag (take away as a lot air as you possibly can earlier than freezing). If you happen to battle with freezer burn or plan to freeze the bread longer than a couple of weeks, you possibly can individually wrap every slice in plastic wrap earlier than closing within the plastic bag.
Serving: 1loaf | Energy: 1820kcal | Carbohydrates: 364g | Protein: 59g | Fats: 10g | Saturated Fats: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 3g | Monounsaturated Fats: 2g | Sodium: 4678mg | Potassium: 459mg | Fiber: 12g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 9IU | Calcium: 81mg | Iron: 4mg
Dietary data is predicated on third-party calculations and needs to be thought of an estimate solely. Precise dietary content material will range primarily based upon manufacturers used, measuring strategies, cooking technique, portion sizes, and extra.