Shakshuka is a naturally gluten free brunch dish of eggs poached in a wealthy and calmly spiced tomato sauce and is a surprising meal to get pleasure from. A basic one pan dreamy recipe, which I like serving with do-it-yourself gluten free flatbread (my 15 minute recipe for flatbread is a should attempt!).
A North African and Center Eastrn staple dish, shakshuka is an increasing number of continuously discovered on cafe menus throughout the UK. It’s completely scrumptious and is a dish we like to make at dwelling, and surprisingly straightforward.
You may end the dish off with numerous toppings, resembling yoghurt, avocado and/or chorizo, and it’s good for a giant sharing brunch with household or associates.
The sauce will be made prematurely to avoid wasting effort and time, then reheat it in a pan the subsequent day and add the eggs for the ultimate cooking stage (see step 5 of my methodology beneath). That ultimate stage solely takes quarter-hour, so in the event you prep forward it’s a extremely fast one to knock up.
What Ought to I Serve it with?
Numerous gluten free bread for dipping and scooping is my private desire! We regularly make a batch of my straightforward gluten free flatbread to go together with this dish, or contemporary pao de queijo (Brazilian cheese bread).
Can Shakshuka Be Made Dairy Free?
This dish is of course dairy free in the event you omit the yoghurt topping and use avocado as a substitute (or a dairy free plain yoghurt). It’s also a vegetarian dish too, merely don’t add a meaty topping resembling chorizo.
Will My Youngsters Eat This Shakshuka?
My youngsters (aged virtually 5 and a couple of) actually liked this after I made it for lunch not too long ago. I made a non-spicy model, utilizing half a teaspoon of cinnamon instead of chilli flakes, then Dave and I added some jalepeno tabasco to ours for a little bit of a kick.
It’s simply tailor-made for fussy eaters too, merely serve the toppings on the facet. My 2 12 months outdated loves avocado, and my 5 12 months outdated hates it. So he had further and she or he had some cucumber sticks on the facet!
Gluten Free Shakshuka Recipe
This gluten free shakshuka serves 2-4 individuals, relying in your appetites. Should you serve a pleasant stack on gluten free flatbread on the facet, it’ll fortunately be sufficient for 4 individuals. You may add further eggs in the event you assume your company will need two every. However equally, I reckon 2 REALLY hungry adults might polish it off if wanted.
You’ll discover just a few pictures beneath this recipe, to provide you a visible information as you’re employed via the recipe. For every other assist alongside the best way or when you have questions, please do message me on social media (@myglutenfreeguide) or e-mail me at [email protected].
Should you get pleasure from this shakshuka, please depart a overview on the recipe card beneath. It makes a world of distinction to me :). And you can even share pictures of your private home creations in my Cooking Club on Facebook.
Take pleasure in! Laura xxx
Cook dinner Time:
1 hour half-hour
A warming one pot of eggs poached in a wealthy, calmly spiced tomato sauce. High together with your selection of yoghurt, avocado and pan fried chorizo for a scrumptious brunch.
- 2 crimson onions
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp cumin
- 0.5 tsp chilli flakes (or cinnamon or a non spicy model)
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 inexperienced pepper
- 4 spring onions
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp crimson wine vinegar/balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp of contemporary chopped or 1 tsp dried parsley
- 4 eggs
- Olive oil for frying
- To serve – your selection of: pan-fried chhorizo/avocado/yoghurt/feta, and gluten free bread or flatbread.
- Finely cube the onions and peppers, then fry with some olive oil in a high-sided frying pan or wok over a medium-low warmth. Cook dinner till the onions begin to flip translucent and comfortable.
- Mince the garlic and add to the pan. Add the cumin, chilli flakes/cinnamon, smoked paprika, crimson wine vinegar and tomato paste and stir properly to mix with the onion and garlic. Cook dinner for a few minutes to launch these spice flavours.
- Chop the spring onions into rounds. Add them to the pan, together with the parsley and stir via.
- Subsequent add the chopped tomatoes. Give the contents of the pan a extremely good stir, carry to a simmer, after which depart to prepare dinner over a low-medium warmth (with the lid on the pan) for round half-hour. The tomatoes ought to break down so you find yourself with a beautiful wealthy tomato sauce.
- At this level, you may both proceed with the recipe or, if you’re making the sauce prematurely, take the sauce off the warmth and permit to chill earlier than storing within the fridge in a single day.
- Make 4 wells within the sauce and crack an egg into every properly. Place the lid again on the pan and prepare dinner the eggs for roughly 10 minutes, for runny yolks.
- Serve within the pan, topped with any combo of chorizo, avocado and feta, and dollops of paprika-topped yoghurt. And a giant pile of gluten free flatbread for dipping and scooping!
For extra brunch inspiration, why not try a few of my different gluten free brunch recipes while you’re right here:
Bon appetit! Laura xxx