These scrumptious and naturally gluten free polenta chips will be oven baked, pan fried or air fried, and they’re a beautiful as a facet dish or appetiser. Serve them rather than potatoes, rice or bread, or as a part of an antipasti unfold with roasted tomato or romesco sauce for dipping. Aioli could be superb with these too!
Attempt polenta chips as a facet to pan fried fish (like this yummy sea bream recipe), roast rooster, aubergine parmigiana (they go so nicely with the wealthy tomato sauce) or the rest you fancy.
As they’re made in two levels, you can too prep these forward of time. Mixing and leaving the polenta to set, then baking or frying them later when you’re able to serve them.
What Kind of Polenta Ought to I Use?
You should definitely use quick or specific polenta, which is ok milled and fast cooking, slightly than a coarser milled varieties. I take advantage of the Polenta Valsugana Express selection, which UK followers can discover in Waitrose
Polenta is of course gluten free, nevertheless it’s best to at all times verify the label as I discovered some varieties have a “could include gluten” warning as a result of manufacturing processes.
Can I Deep Fry These Polenta Chips?
Sure you possibly can, merely mud them in somewhat cornflour earlier than deep frying after which fry at 180C for about 5 minutes or till golden and crisp. Then set them apart to empty on some absorbent kitchen paper earlier than serving.
Can I Air Fry or Bake Them?
Sure! Within the technique beneath, I’ve given particulars about how one can oven bake, air fry or pan fry these polenta fries.
Polenta Chips Recipe
Okay let’s crack on with the recipe! Under you’ll discover full substances and technique particulars, together with step-by-step pictures to information you.
Should you take pleasure in these polenta chips, please do go away a overview on the recipe card beneath. It makes a world of distinction to me :). And you can too share pictures of your own home creations in my Cooking Club on Facebook.
Thanks a lot! Laura xxx
Cook dinner Time:
1 hour half-hour
These scrumptious golden polenta chips are good as a facet dish or appetiser, and will be pan fried, air fried or oven baked. Naturally gluten free.
- 200g fast/specific polenta (I take advantage of Polenta Valsugana Specific Polenta)
- 450ml scorching vegetable inventory
- 350ml boiling water
- 60g unsalted butter
- 30g parmesan cheese
- To serve (elective): salt and pepper, parmesan cheese
- Earlier than you begin, line a 20x30cm dish or tray (I take advantage of a baking tray – guarantee yours is at the very least 3cm deep) with cling movie (see picture beneath). Put aside.
- Add the polenta to a medium-sized non stick saucepan, together with the recent inventory. Combine to mix and stir out any lumps, then add the boiling water and maintain stirring.
- Place over a excessive warmth and convey to the boil, stirring continually to keep away from lumps forming. As soon as it involves a boil flip the warmth all the way down to medium-low and stir for about 5 minutes till the polenta is thick and clean, the same consistency to mashed potato.
- Add the butter to the polenta and stir by means of, holding the pan over a medium-low warmth. With the addition of the butter, the polenta ought to start to come back away from the perimeters of the pan as you stir it, and can look smoother.
- Lastly grate the parmesan cheese into the polenta and stir for two minutes till the parmesan is melted and mixed. Then tip the polenta into the ready tray, utilizing a spatula to rigorously unfold the polenta out and ease it into the corners. Then clean down the highest of the polenta so you’ve got a pleasant even layer. Now put aside to chill and set at room temperature, which ought to take about 1 hour (you can too go away it for longer if wanted, and even in a single day, merely place within the fridge as soon as cooled).
- As soon as set, the polenta needs to be very agency (if nonetheless delicate, pop it within the fridge till set). Flip it out onto a chopping board, then use a pointy knife to slice it into chunky chips. Then rub the polenta chips with olive oil on all sides.
- Now time to cook dinner and I’ve acquired three choices for you right here:
- My favorite is Pan Frying: cook dinner them in batches in a non-stick frying pan with a beneficiant additional drizzle of olive oil and an enormous grating of black pepper and sprinkle of Maldon salt. Cook dinner on either side for about 3 minutes, or till golden, then rotate to the following facet till you’ve got 4 pretty crispy sides to your polenta chips.
- OR you possibly can Oven Bake: preheat your oven to 220C (fan) and line a big baking tray with non-stick baking paper. Prepare the polenta chips on the pan, spacing them nicely and drizzle with olive oil then bake for 30-40 minutes till crisp.
- OR you possibly can Air Fry: cook dinner in batches at 200C for 15-20 minutes (till golden and crisp), turning midway by means of.
To serve, I personally love them merely with salt, pepper and a grating of recent parmesan on prime – they’re wonderful as an appetizer this manner, with a chilly glass of wine! Or function a facet dish or with a roasted tomato or romesco dip. And even aioli for a garlicky hit. Delish!
For extra unbelievable gluten free sides dishes, why not attempt a few of my different yummy recipes:
Pleased cooking! Laura xxx