This Italian cream cake is made up of three layers of splendidly moist cake loaded with toasted pecans and coconut. The layers are crammed and frosted with a lightweight whipped cream frosting and topped off with pecan bits and extra coconut. So good!
Selfmade Italian Cream Cake
We’re getting near springtime. The world is warming up and we’re coming into the season of backyard events, bridal showers, and Easter soirees. There’s nothing fairly like a chic layer cake to get you in a celebratory temper. This Italian cream cake is certainly one of my favorites.
After getting heaps requests for a recipe for Italian Cream Cake and testing many, I lastly arrived at my very own model. I began with my Moist Vanilla Cake and went from there. The spine of this dessert is a lightweight, fluffy, splendidly moist cake infused with toasted pecans and coconut. The cake is complemented by a velvety whipped cream cheese frosting that has my mouth watering simply interested by it. It’s tremendous mild and pairs completely with this cake. The entire thing comes collectively fantastically in a chic dessert topped with swirls of frosting and lined in pecans and coconut
What’s Italian Cream Cake?
The origin of Italian cream cake doesn’t actually appear to be recognized. And regardless of its title, it’s not precisely Italian in origin. It’s actually extra of a southern cake outlined by the addition of coconut and pecans and cream cheese frosting.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
This Italian cream cake is ideal for spring. Its visible enchantment, advanced texture, and delicate taste profile make it a beautiful alternative to your subsequent backyard celebration. Listed below are a few of my favourite issues about it.
- It’s stunning. Layer truffles are usually showstoppers. This one specifically actually catches my eye each time. There’s something in regards to the delicate, mild colours, the cloud-like puffs of frosting, and the gorgeous outdoors of toasted pecans and coconut that screams magnificence.
- Texture. I really like the way in which the sunshine, fluffy cake layers work together with the sleek whipped cream cheese frosting, the crunch of the pecans, and the chewy texture of the shredded coconut. This cake delivers a wonderful journey in each chunk.
- Mild and balanced. Don’t get me fallacious, wealthy decadent truffles have their place too. However generally they could be a bit a lot. This Italian cream cake is mild, ethereal, and graced with a fragile sweetness that’s excellent for spring.
What You’ll Want
I really like how baking can take a hoopla of easy components, combine them collectively, and switch them into one thing really spectacular. Right here’s a listing of what you will want to make this supremely tasty Italian cream cake. Scroll to the recipe beneath for measurements.
- Eggs – 5 of them! Eggs and yolks separated. Each play an necessary function on this cake. The yolks give physique and bind the cake components whereas the egg whites are whipped to stiff peaks and folded in gently, including quantity, moisture and texture. It is very important permit the eggs to come back to room temperature as soon as separated.
- All-purpose flour – Be at liberty to make use of your favourite 1:1 gluten-free flour as an alternative.
- Baking soda – For the best rise and texture.
- Salt – Essential for a cake that isn’t bland.
- Unsalted butter – Begin with room temperature butter. It’ll mix and maintain quantity higher than chilly or melted butter.
- Shortening – I like utilizing shortening right here as a result of the flavour actually compliments the coconut and pecans. Butter will just do fantastic, nevertheless.
- Vanilla extract
- Almond extract – Non-obligatory, however I actually love the additional trace of taste.
- Buttermilk – I take advantage of powdered buttermilk to keep away from shopping for an entire carton and letting the remainder go to waste. The buttermilk provides a pleasant taste and fluffiness to the cake and reacts nicely with the baking soda so I counsel towards making substitutions.
- Sweetened shredded coconut
- Chopped pecans – Ensure that to toast them. It actually provides to the flavour of the cake. Right here’s how to toast pecans.
Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting
- Cream cheese – Begin with room-temperature cream cheese. It’ll incorporate extra easily with the opposite components, saving you from a clumpy frosting.
- Heavy whipping cream – The heavy whipping cream ought to be chilly in any other case it is not going to whip up correctly.
- Powdered sugar – For a contact of sweetness.
- Vanilla extract – For taste.
- Sweetened shredded coconut – Toasted. I often toast it within the oven.
- Finely Chopped Pecans
Tips on how to Make an Italian Cream Cake
Pay shut consideration to element right here. Baking is a science and there actually is a technique to my insanity. Right here is an summary of how one can do it. Scroll to the recipe beneath for extra detailed directions.
For the cake
- Divide the egg yolks from the whites. You will have each.
- Prep. Line the underside of three 8-inch cake pans with parchment paper and grease the perimeters totally. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Beat the butter, shortening, sugar, and extracts till mild and fluffy.
- Add the egg yolks one after the other, mixing after every addition till mixed.
- Add a 3rd of the dry components and blend to mix.
- Add half of the buttermilk and blend to mix.
- Add a 3rd of the dry components and blend till largely mixed.
- Add half of the buttermilk and blend till nicely mixed.
- Add the rest of the dry components and blend to mix.
- Whip the egg whites on excessive pace till stiff peaks kind.
- Fold the egg whites into the batter together with coconut and toasted pecans.
- Bake. Divide the batter evenly between the cake pans and bake for 25-Half-hour.
- Cool. Enable the truffles to chill for a couple of minutes earlier than transferring them to a cooling rack to chill utterly.
For the frosting
- Beat the cream cheese till clean.
- Whip the heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract on excessive pace till stiff peaks kind.
- Put all of it collectively. 1/3 at a time, gently fold the whipped cream combination into the cream cheese.
- Flatten the truffles. Use a big serrated knife to take away the domes from the highest of the truffles.
- Layer. Place the primary cake layer on a serving plate and unfold frosting excessive. Place the second cake on prime of the primary and frost the highest. Repeat this with the third cake.
- Chill. Place the cake within the freezer for 15-20 minutes.
- Frost the surface of the cake. Take a look at my submit on how one can frost a clean cake.
- Embellish. Press the toasted coconut into the perimeters of the cake, pipe the remaining frosting in shells across the prime fringe of the cake, and sprinkle with pecan crumbles.
- Chill. Pop the cake within the fridge till it’s time to serve.
Suggestions for Success
They all the time say that baking is a science. Listed below are a number of helpful ideas and tips that can allow you to obtain the very best Italian cream cake attainable.
- Cream totally. When combining the butter, shortening, sugar, and extracts, beat them on excessive pace for a full 3-4 minutes. The excessive pace and prolonged time period will incorporate as a lot air as attainable into the combination, finally producing a lighter, fluffier cake.
- Measure rigorously. Particularly on the subject of flour, it is very important get your measurements proper. An excessive amount of flour will result in an excessively dense cake and too little will produce a unfastened, sloppy cake. I like to recommend spooning the flour into the measuring cup and leveling it or utilizing a meals scale.
- Don’t over-mix the batter. When combining the moist and dry components, over mixing will trigger the glutens within the flour to develop an excessive amount of. This can end in a dense, dry cake. So solely combine till your components are included. No extra.
- Begin with room-temperature cream cheese. Chilly cream cheese received’t incorporate nicely with the opposite components ending you with a lumpy frosting. So have just a little persistence and let your cream cheese come to room temperature earlier than making the frosting.
- Use stand mixer, if attainable. That is primarily the case for the frosting. I discover that hand mixers don’t whip the whipped cream to fairly as stiff of a peak, so your frosting could also be a contact much less thick in case you use a hand mixer.
Tips on how to Retailer Italian Cream Cake
This cake should be saved within the fridge. Shut the cake in an hermetic cake carrier and retailer it within the fridge for as much as 4 days. In case you wouldn’t have a cake provider, you’ll be able to wrap the cake in a double layer of saran wrap utilizing toothpicks to prop the plastic away from the cake decorations.
Notice that this cake is finest served at room temperature. So let it sit out for a few hours earlier than digging in.
Can I Freeze It?
Sure and no. I don’t suggest freezing the finished, adorned cake however you’re greater than welcome to freeze the cake layers and assemble the cake at a later date. Wrap the cooled cake layers in clear wrap and foil, and even place them in Ziplock luggage or an hermetic, freezer-safe container. Retailer within the freezer for as much as 3 months.
When you find yourself able to assemble, permit the layers to thaw within the fridge earlier than carrying on with stacking, frosting, and adorning.
Extra Elegant Layer Cake Recipes
Layer truffles make for such stunning, crowd-pleasing desserts. There are such a lot of totally different taste combos on the market. Listed below are just some of my favorites.
See How The Cake is Made
This Italian Cream Cake has three layers of moist cake full of shredded coconut and toasted pecans! It’s crammed and frosted with a whipped cream cheese frosting for a beautiful mild and traditional cake!
- 5 giant eggs
- 2 cups (260g) all-purpose flour (measured precisely)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup (112g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (95g) shortening*
- 2 cups (414g) sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp almond extract, non-obligatory
- 1 cup (240ml) buttermilk*
- 1 1/4 cups (91g) sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup (106g) chopped pecans, toasted
Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting
- 20 oz (565g) cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 cups (480ml) heavy whipping cream, chilly
- 1 1/2 cups (173g) powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups (148g) sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- Pecan crumbs
For the cake
- Divide the egg yolks and whites whereas the eggs are chilly, then set them apart to come back to room temperature. The egg whites must be at room temperature when whipped later.
- Put together three 8 inch cake pans with parchment paper circles within the backside and grease the perimeters. You should definitely grease the corners and sides of the pan very nicely, as I discover this cake tends to stay a bit. Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C).
- Mix the flour, baking soda and salt in a medium sized bowl and put aside.
- Add the butter, shortening, sugar and extracts to a big mixer bowl and beat collectively till mild in colour and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes. Don’t skimp on the creaming time.
- Add the egg yolks one after the other, mixing till largely mixed after every. Scrape down the perimeters of the bowl as wanted to make sure all components are nicely included.
- Add a 3rd of the dry components to the batter and blend till largely mixed. The batter shall be thick.
- Slowly add about half of the buttermilk and blend till nicely mixed. The batter will look just a little curdled, however that’s okay.
- Add one other third of the dry components and blend till largely mixed. Scrape down the perimeters of the bowl as wanted to make sure all components are nicely included.
- Slowly add the opposite half of the buttermilk and blend till nicely mixed.
- Add the remaining third of the dry components and blend till nicely mixed. Scrape down the perimeters of the bowl as wanted to make sure all components are nicely included. Don’t over combine. Put aside.
- Add the egg whites to a mixer bowl and whip on excessive pace till stiff peaks kind. Don’t over whip the egg whites.
- Add a couple of third of the egg whites to the cake batter, together with the coconut and toasted pecans, and gently fold into the cake batter till largely mixed, then add the remaining egg whites. Gently fold collectively till nicely included.
- Divide the batter evenly between the truffles pans and bake for 25-Half-hour, or till a toothpick comes out clear.
- Take away the truffles from the oven and permit to chill for about 3-4 minutes, then take away to cooling racks to chill utterly.
For the frosting
- To make the whipped cream cheese frosting, add the cream cheese to a big mixer bowl and beat till clean. Put aside.
- Add the heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar and vanilla extract to a different giant mixing bowl and whip on excessive pace till stiff peaks kind.
- Add about 1/3 of the whipped cream to the cream cheese and gently fold collectively to mix so that you just don’t deflate the whipped cream. When largely mixed, add one other third of the whipped cream and gently fold collectively, then add the ultimate third and gently fold collectively till utterly mixed.
- To place the cake collectively, use a big serrated knife to take away the domes from the highest of the truffles in order that they’re flat. These truffles don’t have a big dome, however I like to verify they’re utterly flat.
- Place the primary cake layer on a serving plate or a cardboard cake circle.
- Unfold about 1 cup of frosting evenly on prime of the cake.
- Add the second layer of cake and one other cup of frosting.
- Prime the cake with the remaining layer and clean out any frosting that could be poking out on the perimeters of the cake. Pop it within the freezer for about 15-20 minutes.
- Frost the surface of the cake. Consult with my tutorial for frosting a clean cake, if wanted.
- Press the toasted coconut into the perimeters of the cake.
- Use the remaining frosting to pipe shells across the prime fringe of the cake, the sprinkle with some remaining pecan crumbs from if you chopped up the pecans for the cake.
- Refrigerate the cake till able to serve. I prefer to let truffles sit out for about an hour or two earlier than serving.
- Cake is finest when saved nicely lined and eaten inside about 3-4 days.
NOTE: Shortening is historically utilized in an Italian Cream Cake and I discover the flavour higher compliments the coconut and pecans. That mentioned, the cake will work completely fantastic with all butter, in case you choose.
I take advantage of powdered buttermilk.
- Serving Dimension: 1 slice
- Energy: 781
- Sugar: 43.9 g
- Sodium: 318.4 mg
- Fats: 56.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 62 g
- Protein: 9.8 g
- Ldl cholesterol: 165.1 mg
Key phrases: cream cake, italian cream cake, layer truffles