These gluten free mushy pretzels truely are tremendous mushy, completely chewy and downright scrumptious. I’ll fortunately devour them heat with salted butter, it’s gluten free bread heaven.
Making them can also be fairly enjoyable, and I’ve received a number of helpful footage to information you thru pretzel shaping in my recipe beneath. You combine every little thing collectively, show then form, earlier than they’ve just a little dunk in a water bathtub after which a fast bake.
You’ll really feel like a correct professional baker after making these, despite the fact that the strategy is surprisingly straight ahead!
Loooook at that pretty mushy crumb construction contained in the pretzels! They are surely one of the best mixture of sentimental bread and chewy crust.
Earlier than we crack on, there are two elements it’s possible you’ll or will not be aware of. Please don’t skip any objects within the recipe, gluten free bread making is a exact science so for those who make substitutions the bake won’t be the identical.
Belief me, every little thing within the recipe performs a selected position, and our new pals psyllium husk and tapioca starch are properly value including to your retailer cabinet.
What Is Psyllium Husk?
The little magic ingredient on this recipe is complete psyllium husk, which is a incredible ingredient for gluten free bread making. Entire psyllium husk is extensively out there on-line and from well being meals shops. I purchase this variety on Amazon.
It’s a naturally-dervived fibre and it helps to provide flexibility to gluten free bread, appearing as a binder and enhancing the ultimate texture of your bake. Don’t skip it, else the tip bake won’t be mushy and wonderful.
I take advantage of complete psyllium husk, somewhat than the powdered selection. When you solely have the powdered selection that’s okay, however you’ll want to scale back the quantity used – use 12g psyllium powder.
What About Tapioca Starch?
A favorite flour of mine for bread making, I usually add it to gluten free plain flour blends because it actually helps with 1) pliability and stretch and a couple of) softness of the ultimate bread.
Tapioca starch is typically referred to as tapioca flour (the Bob’s Pink Mill model), however is totally different from cassava flour. When you don’t have tapioca starch you may buy it on Amazon or find it in health food shops, and even Ocado sell it. I purchase it from Shipton Mill.
You’ll discover a variety of my bread recipes utilizing tapioca starch, so seize your self a bag and get baking with me :). It’s a gamechanger.
Gluten Free Smooth Pretzel Recipe
This recipe makes 4 gluten free mushy pretzels. You’ll discover a full methodology beneath, plus a number of pictures to assist information you thru the recipe. Nonetheless, be happy to e mail me any questions or feedback you might need. You possibly can contact me at [email protected] or message me on Instagram/Fb @myglutenfreeguide.
I like seeing your property bakes too so please ship me pictures of your creations, or tag @myglutenfreeguide on social media :).
Lastly, for those who take pleasure in this recipe, I’d be actually grateful for those who might depart a star ranking or overview on the recipe card beneath. Thanks!
p.s. for my previous recipe utilizing the Juvela Baking Combine, please scroll to the underside of this web page as I’ve saved it there
1 hour half-hour
Prepare dinner Time:
1 hour 55 minutes
Smooth, pillowy but strecthy gluten free pretzels which can be completely unimaginable to eat.
- 230g gluten free plain/all function flour (I used FREEE by Doves Farm)
- 40g tapioca starch (I used Shipton Mill)
- 6g quick motion/on the spot yeast
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 0.5 tsp fantastic salt
- 14g complete psyllium husk (do not skip this!)
- 200ml heat water
- 30g unsalted butter, melted
- 1 giant egg
- 2 tbsp bicarbonate of soda
- To a stand mixer bowl or giant mixing bowl, add the plain flour, tapioca starch, yeast, caster sugar, salt, psyllium husk, water and melted butter.
- Crack the egg right into a small bowl and punctiliously measure 30ml of egg white solely into the stand mixer bowl. Combine the remaining egg white and yolk along with 1 tsp water to make an egg wash, which we’ll use later. Cowl with cling movie and place within the fridge till wanted.
- Flip the stand mixer on and blend on a medium-high pace for five minutes. Then depart it to relaxation for five minutes, earlier than mixing once more for an extra 5 minutes on medium-high. Throughout this time, the psyllium husk might be absorbing water from the dough, reworking it from a really moist combination to a pleasant mushy and pliable dough.
- Scoop the dough collectively to kind a pleasant ball, then place it again into the bowl and canopy the highest of the bowl with a humid clear material or tea towel. Go away to rise for 1 hour at room temperature, till it has elevated by about two thirds in measurement.
- As soon as the dough has risen, use a dough cutter or knife to chop into 4 even parts. Take one piece at a time and knead the dough together with your palms till clean. Then on a clear floor roll it into an extended sausage form (approx 40cm lengthy). To form the pretzel, place the sausage in a U form, then flip the ends again in the direction of you, crossing them over to create the pretzel form (see pictures beneath). Press and pinch the dough collectively on the centre cross and the ends, to make sure the pretzel retains it form when boiled.
- Repeat step 5 with every dough portion till you have got fashioned 8 pretzels.
- Preheat the oven to 180C (fan) and line a big baking tray with flippantly oiled non-stick baking paper or a silicone mat.
- Fill a small saucepan with 1.3 litres water and add the bicarbonate of soda. Carry to simmering level then rigorously drop a pretzel into the water. Boil the pretzel for 45 seconds, throughout which period it’s going to pop to the floor, give it a few gently dunks to immerse it briefly. Then take away with a skimmer or slotted spoon and switch to the ready baking tray. Repeat for all 4 pretzels.
- Use a pastry brush to egg wash the pretzels. Sprinkle them together with your topping of alternative (salt or seeds), then place them into the oven to bake for 20 minutes, till superbly browned.
- Take away from the oven and punctiliously switch to a wire rack to chill. After 5 minutes they’ll agency up and you may take pleasure in them both whereas nonetheless heat or have them chilly later. Like all recent bread, these are greatest loved on the day of baking. Nonetheless, for those who’ve any leftovers you may retailer them in an hermetic container, then microwave to refresh (30 seconds – 1 minute per pretzel) – then they’re going to soften up once more.
I hope you like these gluten free mushy pretzels, I for one can not cease making them! For extra gluten free bread recipes, why not strive a few of these:
Get pleasure from! Laura xxx
*Beneath is my earlier mushy pretzels recipe, utilizing the Juvela White Combine (a part of a earlier paid collaboration), for these of you who would nonetheless like to make use of this recipe.
1 Packet (500g) Juvela White Combine, 12g dried lively yeast (included in sachet in White Combine field), 2 tbsp caster sugar, 1 tsp fantastic salt, 50g butter, melted, 230ml heat water, 1 tsp oil, 3 tbsp bicarbonate of soda, 1 giant egg (for glazing) Your alternative of toppings: sea salt/poppy seeds/black onion seeds/ sesame seeds
Tip the packet of Juvela White Combine and the sachet of yeast into a big mixing bowl. Add the salt and the sugar and stir properly with a wood spoon. Add the melted butter and the water, mixing initially with the wood spoon then kneading the dough together with your palms. It ought to end in a very clean and pliable consistency, a bit like conventional bread dough, and never be too sticky. If it’s nonetheless a bit crumbly merely add a tiny bit extra water.
Take a second, clear bowl and flippantly oil the within with the tsp oil. Switch the dough ball into this bowl and canopy with cling movie. Go away to rise for 1 hour, till it has elevated by about two thirds in measurement. As soon as the dough has risen, use a dough cutter or knife to chop into 8 even parts (quarter the dough then minimize every quarter in half).
Take one piece at a time and squish the dough till clean, then on a clear floor roll it into an extended sausage form (approx 30cm lengthy). To form the pretzel, place the sausage in a U form, then flip the ends again in the direction of you, crossing them over to create the pretzel form (see pictures beneath). Press and pinch the dough collectively on the centre cross and the ends, to make sure the pretzel retains it form when boiled. Repeat with every dough portion till you have got fashioned 8 pretzels.
Preheat the oven to 180C (fan) and line a big baking tray (or two) with flippantly oiled non-stick baking paper. Fill a small saucepan with water and add the bicarbonate of soda. Carry to simmering level then rigorously drop a pretzel into the water. After 20 seconds it is going to pop to the floor – instantly take away with a spatula or slotted spoon and switch to the ready baking tray. Repeat for all 8 pretzels.
Beat the massive egg after which use a pastry brush to egg wash the pretzels. Sprinkle them together with your topping of alternative (salt or seeds), then place them into the oven to bake for 15-20 minutes, till superbly browned.Take away from the oven and punctiliously switch to a wire rack to chill. After 5 minutes they’ll agency up and you may take pleasure in them both whereas nonetheless heat or have them chilly later. Like all recent bread, these are greatest loved on the day of baking.