Gluten Free Frangipane Mince Pies
This submit could comprise affiliate hyperlinks for which I earn a small fee at no further price to you. For more information, try my Disclosure Coverage. Thanks on your assist!
It is essentially the most great time of the yr once more and if you wish to take your gluten free mince pies to the subsequent stage, you HAVE to strive these Frangipane Mince Pies!
Think about if a Bakewell Tart and a Mince Pie had the cutest gluten free child ever, at Christmas-time, and also you’re principally there.
Buttery gluten free shortcrust pastry is full of mincemeat after which smothered in candy gluten free frangipane.
That is then sprinkled with flaked almonds and baked to golden perfection earlier than being completed off with a magical dusting of icing sugar.
To these individuals who go loopy for all of the marzipan goodness at Christmas (aka my different half) – that is for you.
As a result of when you bake a batch of those gluten free frangipane mince pies and see how straightforward they’re, you will by no means return.
Make these for the almond-lover in your life they usually’ll keep on with you perpetually.
Straightforward Frangipane Topped Mince Pies
Now do not get me incorrect, I like conventional mince pies and I at all times make my gluten free ones yearly.
Final Christmas I made a decision to check out iced mince pies however the concept of a frangipane mince pie has at all times been on my thoughts.
And I am so glad I did as a result of I see the (non-gluten free ones) within the retailers loads they usually at all times look so rattling good.
I can fortunately verify they had been pretty much as good as I think about – and with my easy gluten free pastry and simple frangipane, even the gluten-eaters will love them.
For people who have gotten this far and nonetheless do not know what frangipane is, 10/10 for dedication to the trigger.
Frangipane is a combination of floor almonds, butter, sugar and eggs, that’s usually present in tarts – mostly Bakewell Tarts.
With almond extract it has a powerful marzipan-like style and a consistency that is someplace between a fudgy blondie and a sponge.
As a result of marzipan is such a standard Christmas flavour it pairs completely with mincemeat in these mince pies.
Elements and Substitutions
There is a full printable recipe card under with the elements for these frangipane mince pies.
I at all times use the FREEE Plain Gluten Free Flour, or a distinct plain flour mix like Juvela’s White Combine or Schär’s baking combine for my pastry.
Please at all times use a plain (or All Function) gluten free flour mix as utilizing a single flour like coconut or almond won’t work.
Additionally don’t omit the xanthan gum even when your flour comprises this – it is actually vital for making the pastry straightforward to deal with.
And if you cannot discover mincemeat (I do know it is a very British factor!) the place you’re, you can also make your individual utilizing my gluten free mincemeat recipe.
Are you able to freeze these frangipane mince pies?
Sure – these gluten free frangipane mince pies freeze very well!
Merely make up a batch and bake them, then enable them to chill utterly earlier than freezing in a sealed bag or container.
Defrost and revel in them scorching or chilly.
And if you happen to’re not freezing them, they’re going to final for round per week in an hermetic container.
Can they be dairy free / vegan?
Sadly I’ve not but mastered a gluten free vegan pastry recipe (but).
I really feel it will be incorrect to counsel any previous egg alternative till I’ve examined it.
However you probably have a go-to egg replacer on your gluten free pastry I might love to listen to about it within the feedback!
You may nevertheless simply swap out the butter for a tough, dairy free margarine (like Stork Baking Block) to make the recipe dairy free.
Which mincemeat is gluten free?
Most mincemeats in UK supermarkets are gluten free.
A whole lot of them comprise suet – which satirically is basically laborious to seek out gluten free within the supermarkets on it is personal.
Nonetheless, in a bizarre accident these all have a tendency to make use of rice flour so are largely gluten free which is nice.
Simply be sure to at all times double test as there could also be a number of anomalies which comprise gluten or ‘could comprise’ warnings.
The way to make frangipane mince pies
The primary stage in making these mince pies is whipping up a batch of gluten free shortcrust pastry which is tremendous easy.
It is vital you then let this chill within the fridge in any other case it will likely be too sticky to roll and deal with.
When you’ve got points rolling the pastry then you’ll be able to roll it out between two sheets of clingfilm, however you should not have to.
Making the frangipane is only a case of blending all of the elements collectively, after which it is merely layering it up and baking.
There is a full step-by-step how-to within the recipe card under (which you can even print out!) however that is the essential premise of it.
I discover an adjustable rolling pin actually useful for ensuring the pastry is even – and naturally remember your pastry cutters!
My frangipane mince pies recipe
This recipe makes sufficient for 12 frangipane mince pies and any leftover pastry offcuts make for glorious jam tarts!
You may simply freeze any leftovers and these are nice served chilly or heat with some clotted cream or custard.
In case you make this recipe and find it irresistible, please do let me know by tagging me on my Instagram or utilizing #theglutenfreeblogger. I like seeing your bakes!
And if you happen to liked it, please do go away a evaluate to let others know you liked it too! It will imply the world to me.
Gluten Free Frangipane Mince Pies
These frangipane-topped mince pies are an excellent twist on a basic Christmas deal with! This recipe makes 12 gluten free frangipane mince pies which might simply be frozen.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook dinner Time 20 minutes
Whole Time 40 minutes
For the pastry:
- 170g plain gluten free flour (I at all times use FREEE by Doves Farm plain gluten free flour for pastry)
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 110 g unsalted butter, (cubed)
- 1 tbsp caster sugar (for candy pastry)
- 1 giant egg
- 1 tsp water
For the frangipane:
- 80g unsalted butter (softened)
- 80g caster sugar
- 80g floor almonds
- 1 giant egg
- 1 tbsp plain gluten free flour
- 1 tsp almond extract
For the filling:
- Half a jar of mincemeat
- 2 tbsp flaked almonds
- Icing sugar (for dusting)
First make the pastry:
- Add the flour, xanthan gum and sugar to a big mixing bowl and stir collectively.
- Minimize the chilly butter into cubes after which add to the bowl. Utilizing your fingers, rub the combo collectively till it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Crack the egg right into a bowl or mug and add the chilly water. Whisk collectively till simply mixed. Then add to the combo and use a fork to begin to ‘mush’ the combination collectively. You’ll see it begin to type a sticky dough.
- As soon as it turns into more durable to make use of the fork to combine, use your fingers to convey the combination collectively right into a clean dough. You must have the ability to choose this up simply with out it being too sticky.
- Wrap the dough in clingfilm and chill within the fridge for at the least half-hour. This can be a actually vital stage – you want the dough to sit back a bit so it’s simpler to roll!
Subsequent make the frangipane:
- Whereas the pastry is chilling, add all of the elements for the frangipane to a big mixing bowl.
- Beat with an electrical mixer (or wood spoon) till mixed and set to as soon as facet.
To assemble the mince pies:
- When the dough has chilled, preheat the oven to 180’C / Fan 160’C / Gasoline Mark 4. Roll the chilled dough between floured clingfilm to 4mm thickness after which use a 9cm spherical cutter to chop out 12 circles.
- Gently press the circles into the wells of a cupcake baking tin, after which prick the underside of every with a fork.
- Add a teaspoon of mincemeat to every pastry case. Then add round 1 tbsp of the frangipane combine on prime.
- Sprinkle every mince pie prime with floor almonds then bake within the oven for 20-25 minutes, till the frangipane is golden and risen.
- Take away from the oven, go away to chill after which take away from the tin. Mud with icing sugar and revel in!
- In case you like you’ll be able to add the zest of 1 orange into the pastry – do that earlier than including the egg to the combo.
- These mince pies are greatest served heat, and will be stored in an hermetic container for as much as 5 days and reheated as wanted. They may also be frozen.
- Pretty served with custard or clotted cream – or simply chilly with a cuppa (or a glass of milk for Santa!)
Want some extra gluten free Christmas inspiration?
Wish to have a go at among the different gluten free Christmas recipes on the weblog?
Give a few of these different gluten free festive recipes a strive!
I’ve additionally acquired my gluten free Christmas web page with every thing it’s worthwhile to get pleasure from a protected festive season.
There are lots to select from – listed below are a pair to get you going:
In case you do make this recipe please let me know! I’d like to see your pictures utilizing #theglutenfreeblogger, share them in my Facebook group or tag me on Instagram.
And you probably have any recipe ideas, please let me know within the feedback what you’d prefer to see subsequent!
Like this Gluten Free Frangipane Mince Pies recipe?
Be sure to pin the recipe card below for later!